Pages

Sunday 25 September 2011

Early Years

I'm not going to pretend I've been an Angel. I'm just an ordinary woman with strengths and weaknesses of my own.

At school I was quiet and shy, kept the same small group of friends throughout - OK apart from one or two turbulent periods but hey, that was then we were teenagers so what else would you expect? We were good girls though, not brilliantly academic but kept out of trouble, just average teenagers. The worst we ever did was annoy our parents by talking for hours on the phone in the evenings and running up their bills, but that was common in the 70's. Then, when we left school and started earning we discovered night life and would go out into the town centre Friday and Saturday nights, get tipsy and flirt with the boys - all pretty much innocent stuff.

I was a skinny teenager in an era when voluptuous bodies were much the preference. That, together with my lack of confidence, didn't put me in great stead as girlfriend material. However, while studying in the 6th Form my confidence grew and along with that came my first boyfriend, Phil. The relationship lasted three funfilled months - all totally innocent apart from kissing in the back row - and helped me gain self esteem. A few months later along came Adam, a mate of my cousin. Like Phil, Adam was another nice lad. Mum was impressed because he was Catholic (like I was supposed to be) and had achieved good results in School. He would help my little sister with her homework - hence Mum was even more impressed! But he would post me love letters through the door telling me how much we loved each other - we had barely kissed - and weeks before my 18th he started talking about this special piece of jewellery he was going to buy for my birthday. Freaked out, I ended the relationship. Needless to say, Mum was devastated.

So a few months later there I was, on the dance floor with Suzie looking out of the corner of my eye at John watching over us. He wasn't like my previous boyfriends, I knew that all right. He was a bad lad with a bad reputation. But I had a taste for him, wanted some excitement in my life, so when he asked about a lift home, of course I agreed!