Pages

Saturday 12 November 2011

His Past

Not long into our own relationship, John and I started to discuss previous relationships. I'd only had a couple of previous boyfriends, but then I was only 18 when I met John. He, on the other hand, came with considerable experience. I don't remember whether I just assumed myself naive, or whether I was impressed with his experience, but I allowed him to show off with stories of his past relationships. He discussed two women in particular - Kate, the girl he was engaged to for a while when he was 19, and Georgie the, the one who had been round all his mates. He told me that he had been devastated when Kate ended their engagement, in fact he was so upset that her mother took pity on him and took him into her bed. Several times! At that point I remember thinking, 'I'm out of my depth here'. Still, I stayed with him.

One evening we went to the 21st Birthday party of a friend of his. John went missing for a while so I went to look for him. As I walked up the stairs I could hear his voice talking to a woman. It was Georgie, one of his ex-girlfriends. As I reached the top of the stairs I heard her say, 'See you on Wednesday night then, can you remember where I live?'. What should I have done? Walked away. of course. What did I do? Ran off crying. He followed me, apologised, said it would never happen again and he only wanted to be with me.

Thinking back, I feel so foolish for my actions. However, they are part of my past and I am unable to change them.

No comments:

Post a Comment